Colombian Visas

All the info you need to sort out a student visa for Colombia.

Regular Tourist Visa

As a UK or US citizen, you can enter Colombia for up to 90 days as a visitor without a visa at the discretion of the Colombian Immigration Officer on arrival. You may need to provide evidence of return or onward travel. With this  type of visa you are able to study at private language schools and with private Spanish tutors. Please also check the latest entry requirements with the Colombian Consulate General in London before you travel.

If you want to extend your stay whilst in Colombia you will need to apply at an immigration office in Colombia. Red Tree Study can provide you with support and guidance throughout the application process. As a visitor, you can’t remain in Colombia for more than 180 days in any 12 month period.

Colombian Student Visa

Colombian government regulations state that if you want to study Spanish, or any other courses, at a Colombian university you will need either a Tourist Visa or a Student Visa. All universities require you to have a Student Visa if you are enrolling on a course for 3 months or longer. You can apply for this visa prior to arriving in Colombia through the nearest Colombian Consulate. In London details are available at:

Colombian Consulate London

Applications from Colombia this can only be made at the ministry of foreign affairs in Bogota.

What is the process?

  • Enrol in your course through Red Tree Study and pay appropriate fees
  • The university will then provide you with 1) Certificate of enrolment/registration; 2) Legal existence certificate of the university.
  • Photocopy the above paperwork
  • Take the registration form to a Notary to get signed
  • Take all documents and your passport to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bogota (or via an agency)
  • Take all the documents to La Unidad Administrativa Especial Migración Colombia office within 15 days of receiving your visa in order to register for an ID card.

Forms You Need for Immigration:

  • Official application for the Visa and why you want one.
  • Copy of Passport and copy of tourist visa entry stamp page/travel information
  • 2x photos: Must be a white background and size 3×3.
  • Certificate of administration from the school/University you will be studying at — this needs to be notarized at a notaria cinco (if you are in Colombia)
  • Certificate of authentication from the school — to show that school is registered to apply for Student Visas.
  • Financial statement to prove you have access to funds while you are abroad (these amounts are not fixed so you should have no problems getting a visa approved)

For students of other nationalities, different processes may apply. Please get in touch to find out more.